Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 7 - Pile O' Punkins

So yesterday was my one week mark. I did it! One week down and 51 to go. I can honestly say I have been enjoying this photograph everyday. It's been exciting and freeing to take a bunch of photographs just because I want to. I don't have to make sure every one's eyes are open or that her hair isn't in his face or any of that other stuff that happens during a portrait session. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE all that. Portrait photography is like a natural high to me. People typically start out smiling because the camera is watching, but then they loosen up, and I have the unique privilege of capturing a personality. An essence. Something like that makes you feel like you really get it. This is what binds us together - not the fact that we're all made of the same stuff, but the essence. That quality or feeling or whatever it is that pushes a person to let down their guard and for a brief moment, let the lens see a true smile. A pure laugh. Real family love.
So, as I was leaving Springfield's Washington Park riding such a high after a photo shoot yesterday, I saw this amazing pile of discarded jack-o-lanterns, and - well, I don't know. It was just too awesome for words. I mean really, how often do you see this many used pumpkins?!?!



I know. They are kind of gross. The have flies on them. They probably smell pungent. But they are what they are - roasting in the warm sun on a cool Autumn day - being what they are. We wilt and we fade but we're still what we started out as - essences don't often change.

Stay tuned friends. Today's photo is coming after dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment