Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 66 - Grandma Came for Christmas

My grandma loved Christmas. We spent Christmas Eve and her house and on Christmas morning, she would always come over and see what Santa brought us. My brother and I would go over to her house and put up her tree after Thanksgiving. Scot moved to Chicago and then decided to go back to school so the last couple years Grandma was with us, I put up her tree myself. I remember one year I was putting the ornaments on the tree and I came across a little school bus ornament. Years ago, something very unfair happened to my Grandma and it had to do with her school bus so I naively assumed she wouldn't want that ornament on the tree as it would remind her of all that happened. Well, when I was done trimming the tree, she came in, looked it over and do you know what she asked me? "Where is my little school bus ornament?" She proceeded to explain to me that one of her students had given her that ornament and that she loved it. Humbled, I found it and put it on the tree front and center. I don't know if she meant to do it, or if she even ever knew that she did, but with that one simple inquiry, she taught me a valuable lesson - never let the bad things in life ruin the things you love. There is good in everything and even if it's just a tiny reminder of a friendly gesture, it's worth holding onto, remembering, and displaying with pride.
I lost my grandma before she could see me get married, but I am so thankful for all the time I did get to spend with her. Devastated though I was by her passing, I still have one of her African violets. It bloomed 10 days before Christmas this year.


Thank you Grandma, for coming to Christmas this year. It was lovely to see you.

Well, dear friends, that is me today. More to follow hopefully this weekend. Enjoy your evenings and have a blessed tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment